Self-Initiated

For my final task, I was asked to write my own brief that showed the experimental and playful nature of the module. It was vital that my project was experimental and I had to justify my reasoning behind this. So what have I learned throughout this module? When I destroyed my letter I saw that the process of making something is just as fun as the end result. Making 3D letter combinations showed me that creating them physically would have been so much more authentic. Creating my lampshade made me realise that Graphic Design is broad and I shouldn’t restrict myself to printed media. Processing showed me that it’s vital for me to learn new skills. Projection team-work inspired me to expand my creative outputs so that I create new and exciting art pieces.

I want to use all of my new found knowledge and skills to create a piece of stitch typography that embodies what Experimental Communication means to me. Just like LoSiento, I want to experiment with an unusual process of making typography, I want to really dig deeper and test myself by creating something completely out of my comfort zone and experimental.

Once I decided that I wanted to create a piece of stitch typography I started looking at all the materials that I would need. Wood (taller than me), colourful string, nails (a lot of them) and plenty of time and patience! With the help of my lecturer, I bought my OSB 3 wood from B&Q which was as wide as a door and a little taller than me. I bought hundreds of nails and I ordered my string from eBay. Next, I had to start planning how I was going to tackle this task. I created a document as big as my wood and then using an equally spaced grid, placed all the letters of EXPERIMENTAL COMMUNICATION onto my design. Once this design was finalised I printed my work off on very large paper and sellotaped it onto my wood. Then the hard bit began. I am somebody who has never lifted a hammer in my life. I don’t change light bulbs. I don’t build flat pack IKEA items, I’m just not a handy person. I had to hammer nails all around the outlines of each letter and there were 26 of them! Believe me, this was a painful task, making sure all the nails were straight and the right height. In the dead of night, I made my way into the graphics room to hammer in my nails because people weren’t too pleased with the constant banging during the day. Even though I thought this would be a horrendously hard task to complete, I managed it! I actually became pretty good at it, with a couple of red fingers from missed hits, and evil stares from fellow students dealt with, I got my head down and smashed all the nails into my wood within a couple of days. I found it quite therapeutic actually, you can relieve a lot of stress from hammering in over 100 nails! With the nails all in, off came the paper guides and I was left with a pointy plant of wood. The next part was the stringing. To do this, you have to tie a knot around the first nail of your letter and then you need to twist the string all around the following nails. Then to add depth and texture you need to string between the nails of the letter over and over in opposite directions. This part was really fun for me because I like doing tactile things, it helps me to destress believe it or not. So, on I went alternating colours, making sure each letter was bright and accurately stitched. After what seemed like forever, my door was finally complete and my god am I proud of it! It looks so awesome, I am really happy I went through with this task because I have created something that means an awful lot to me, from initial designs to final product I have created something I always envisioned to look spectacular! I feel like I have really done myself justice and this piece really does embody what Experimental Communication means to me: hard-work, imagination, dedication and above all else, a bit of bloody FUN.

Follow:
Share:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.