Presenting my final outcomes has always been in the form of a PDF, poster, book or an animation. This task made me think about usual ways to show off my work. In such a cramped industry, you need to always push yourself to come up with something a bit usual to show off your talents. This task was a group project designed to make me work as a team to produce a projection installation using the programme MadMapper.
As this task directly followed on from processing, we decided as a group to continue on this path, producing coded visuals to project onto solid white cubes. We wanted our projection to look spacey and techy so we started researching this kind of aesthetic on YouTube. We decided that we wanted to go for a blue, pink and black colour scheme, so Zein and I started coding some animations! Veronica found some visual effects and Maria and Angelic got to grips with MadMapper and the DSLR camera. Veronica created nets of cubes in Illustrator and then sent them to the laser cutter. We all then got our super clue and rulers and started to assemble the boxes one by one. We didn’t want all the cubes to be the same size because we wanted there to be different levels when we projected. We then started to brainstorm how we were going to arrange the cubes. The first time we tried the projection we stuck the cubes onto a black wall and projected the videos onto one side of the squares. We then decided that this wasn’t the look we were going for because we wanted there to be perspective. So we took them off the wall and arranged them on top of each other in two rows. We then projected the videos onto all the visible sides of the squares to create that 3D look.This technique has been really fun to play about with because it’s encouraged me to try out something brand new. Instead of just picking the easy option, I will now try to challenge myself to produce work that is truly original and attractive.